A lovely blogger, Marcella from What a Wonderful World (I love the photography on her blog!) has nominated me for a Liebster Award! Thank you Marcella! Woo-hoo! And what is a Liebster Award, you ask?
The Liebster is a blogging award that started a few years ago as a way to introduce and connect new bloggers to each other and to each other’s followers. In other words: genius!
Part of being nominated for an award is answering a few fun questions from the person who nominated you. So here I go!
1. What is your favourite thing to photograph?
It’s a bit boring and predictable, but I would have to say my children! If privacy weren’t an issue, I would be flooding this blog, plus all of social media with their pictures every day! :) But privacy is an issue, and I always take a long time framing and choosing the photographs I end up posting of them on this public blog. I never want to show too much of their faces, or expose them too much. I don’t think it’s fair to them in the end. It is difficult though, because they are obviously, such a big part of my life and the topics I enjoy writing about!
2. Selfie Stick: Yes or No?
No thank you. Besides taking up too much unnecessary space, they seem so…corny? I just don’t understand why a person would go out of their way to take a better selfie…?! I’m glad to hear the Smithsonian has banned them!
3. Which wonder of the world would you most like to visit?
The pyramids and Machu Picchu are at the top of my list!
4. If you were to write a book about any country, where would it be?
The USA is the country I know best. But I do have a very early draft of screenplay set in Tanzania, so there’s that!
5. Which magical power do you wish you had while you were travelling?
I’m actually so excited about this question, because I think about this ALL the time after living in Chile and struggling to get over my fear of speaking poor Spanish. If I had a magical power while traveling, I would definitely choose to have the ability to speak ANY language, fluently! Can you imagine how amazing that would be?
6. Which book would you recommend from the past twelve months?
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi!
Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
“Dear Non-American Black, when you make the choice to come to America, you become black. Stop arguing. Stop saying I’m Jamaican or I’m Ghanaian. America doesn’t care.”
and, “They themselves mocked Africa, trading stories of absurdity, of stupidity, and they felt safe to mock, because it was a mockery born of longing, and of the heartbroken desire to see a place made whole again.”
7. Which seat do you book on a plane trip? (I’m always a window seat girl!)
With two small children, an aisle seat is absolutely necessary.
8. Can you cope with cold showers?
Screaming and crying, yes sure.
9. Which song reminds you of a great travel experience?
“Quiero ver” by Cafe Tacuba always reminds me of a great road trip my husband and I took a few years ago.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/h3e-xwfexYQ” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
10. The dress: Blue and black or white and gold?
I went from being adamantly Black and blue to white and gold to light blue and gold! I’m either very indecisive or incredibly empathetic.
And now it’s my turn to nominate a few blogs.
1. Binahkaye from Be(coming) Binakahye Joy
2. Joy at Truth and Travel
3. Spicy and Mel at Loc’d & On d’Go
Here are the questions:
1. If you could live anywhere in the world, where it would be?
2. What is your most memorable traveling experience?
3.Have you ever been through a major identity shift or change? If not, what group did you belong to in high school? :)
4. If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be?
5. What does your dream vacation look like?
6. What is your favorite food to cook?
7. What do you think about the one-way trip to Mars?
8. If you won the lottery, what is the VERY FIRST thing you would with the money?
9. What did you want to be (career wise) when you were little?
10. What is your biggest fear!
Thanks for playing, and don’t forget to nominate other bloggers!